How to Install Guest Additions on Ubuntu?
If you have already installed Ubuntu on VirtualBox and now want to install Guest Additions on Ubuntu in VirtualBox then this is going to help you.
You might experience poor video experience, and no drag and drop options, and all of these can be enabled by installing guest additions. First, you will download Ubuntu for VirtualBox which will be later used for installing Ubuntu.
Once it is downloaded and installed then you will continue with guest additions.
What is Guest Addition?
The guest addition is a collection of device drivers and system applications. it is mostly used to increase the integration between the guest and host OS.
After the installation, you will find improvement in performance and usability. And the exact same methods can be used on Linux or Windows OS (as guest OS) for installing guest addition.
The files can be used on all Linux distributions that includes CentOS, Linux Mint, Kali Linux and more.
Guest Additions usage & features
- Will increase the mouse efficiency. Now the pointer will move smoothly and easily.
- Option to share files between the host and guest is there.
- You can drag and drop items between the host and guest OS.
- Now you have the option to copy on clipboard.
- Not only copying on clipboard, you can share those copied files between the host and guest. Copy anything either on host or guest and then paste it to other OS.
- Users will also have the option to change the window size of VM.
- Video performance will be improved. Now the videos will run much smoother and efficiently.
- Thanks to guest additions, you can enable or disable 2D and 3D acceleration.
- Will enable you to synchronize the time of guest and host OS. Now there won’t be any manual date and time setting. Enable the feature and the date and time will be configured automatically.
- Creates a standard communication channel between the host and guest OS.
- After the installation, you can use Windows features (inside Windows guest OS) seamlessly.
- There will be an automated login option.
These were the options that you will get after installing guest additions on Ubuntu on VirtualBox. The features are not limited to Ubuntu only, but any OS as guest will be favored with the options above.
What is the proper way to install guest additions on Ubuntu on VirtualBox?
To install guest additions, you will run the Ubuntu installed on VM. Then you will open Terminal inside the Ubuntu. Now you are going to use the commands below:
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt upgrade
The commands above will check for any possible updates. Once the Ubuntu is checked for the latest version then you will use the command below. This one will install all the required packages on Ubuntu. Before you use the command, reboot your Ubuntu on VirtualBox.
$ sudo apt install build-essential dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)
Once the reboot got completed then you will use the command above and begin the package installation.
Now you will open the Virtual Machine menu bar. Navigate through Device > Insert Guest Additions CD images. This will mount Guest Additions ISO image on VM.
As soon as you select the option, a dialog will appear. Here you will click on Run.
Terminal will appear and all the actual installation of VirtualBox Guest Addition on Ubuntu will take place. Once all the installation got complete then you will press the Enter key.
Reboot Ubuntu on VirtualBox. As now, we are going to change some Settings in VirtualBox Manager.
To enable Shared Clipboard and Drag n Drop option between the Guest and Host OS, follow these steps. Go to General > Advanced. Here you enable both Shared Clipboard and Drag n Drop option. Click on OK and you have successfully activated the features.