Upgrade macOS Ventura to macOS Sonoma
macOS Sonoma is an upcoming major release of macOS (Apple’s operating system for Mac). It is the successor to macOS Ventura and was announced at Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) 2023 on June 5, 2023. It is named after the wine region located in California’s Sonoma County.
The macOS Sonoma is compatible with the following systems:
- iMac 2019 and later
- Mac Pro 2019 and later
- iMac Pro 2017
- Mac Studio 2022 and later
- MacBook Air 2018 and later
- Mac Mini 2018 and later
- MacBook Pro 2018 and later
You can check the system requirements to run macOS Sonoma here.
Helpful tips for macOS Sonoma installation
Before you begin the installation of macOS Sonoma, here are some tips for upgrading to macOS Sonoma that will help you for sure.
- Make sure that you have a good internet connection. The macOS Sonoma update is a large file, so it may take some time to download.
- If you are using a MacBook, make sure that it is plugged in. The upgrade process can be power-intensive, so you don’t want your MacBook to run out of battery during the upgrade.
- Also, make sure your Mac has at least 50 GB of free Storage.
- Do not use your Mac while it is upgrading. This could interrupt the upgrade process and cause problems.
- Once the upgrade is complete, be sure to restart your Mac. This will ensure that all of the new system files are loaded properly.
How to Upgrade from macOS Ventura to macOS Sonoma?
To upgrade from macOS Ventura to macOS Sonoma, you can follow these steps:
- Make sure that your Mac is compatible with macOS Sonoma.
- Back up your Mac. It is always a good idea to back up your Mac before upgrading to a new version of macOS.
- Download macOS Sonoma Installer. You can download it as an update from the Software Update section of System Preferences or directly from Apple App Store.
- Once the update is downloaded, click Install Now to begin the upgrade process.
- Your Mac will restart several times during the upgrade process. When the upgrade is complete, you will be able to use macOS Sonoma.
Install macOS Sonoma from Apple App Store
1. Open the App Store on your Mac.
2. In the search bar on the left-hand side, type the name of macOS like “macOS Sonoma”.
3. Click on Get or View.
4. Select Download to initiate the macOS 14 download.
5. Allow the download to complete.
6. The installation process will commence automatically.
Related: Free Download macOS Sonoma Full Installer
Install with bootable USB of macOS Sonoma
Another method to consider is performing a clean install of macOS 14 using a bootable USB drive.
Keep in mind that this process completely erases the previous macOS, so it’s crucial to back up your data before proceeding. Here are the steps to create a bootable macOS 14 drive:
- Connect the USB drive.
- Open Terminal.
- Enter the command:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume
Note: Replace “Ventura” with the macOS version you want, and “MyVolume” with your volume’s name
- Provide your admin password when prompted.
- Press Return if no characters appear in the Terminal.
- Confirm by typing Y and pressing Return.
- When prompted for access to files on the removable volume, select OK.
- Once complete, close the Terminal. Disconnect the USB drive.
- Restart your Mac and hold down the Option key while it’s booting up. This will bring up the Startup Manager.
- In the Startup Manager, you should see your bootable USB drive listed. Use the arrow keys to select it, then press Enter.
- Once the bootable USB drive is selected, your Mac will start up from it. Follow the on-screen instructions to install macOS Sonoma. You’ll need to select the disk where you want to install it.
The installation process will take some time. Your Mac may restart a few times during this process.
After the installation is complete, follow the on-screen instructions to set up macOS Sonoma. This includes selecting your language, connecting to a network, and signing in with your Apple ID.
macOS Sonoma Features
macOS Sonoma includes a number of new features and improvements, including:
Stunning new screen savers: New slow-motion screen savers of breathtaking locations from around the world look beautiful on your large Mac display. When you log in, they seamlessly become your desktop wallpaper.
Improved video call quality: macOS Sonoma uses new machine learning algorithms to improve the quality of video calls on your Mac. This includes reducing background noise and improving low-light performance.
Faster gaming performance: macOS Sonoma includes a number of optimizations that improve gaming performance on Mac. This includes support for Metal 3, Apple’s next-generation graphics API.
New ways to personalize your Mac: macOS Sonoma includes a number of new ways to personalize your Mac, including new system-wide fonts, new desktop wallpaper options, and new ways to customize the Dock.
New Widgets: macOS Sonoma widgets are interactive and can be placed anywhere on the desktop. They provide quick access to information and controls for apps and system features. Widgets can be customized in size, style, and opacity.